Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bo the human burrito

We have just recently figured out why parents swaddle their babies...because it works. We swaddled Bo when he was an infant (well Buddy did it). He quickly gained his strength and could break free easily. We stopped swaddling him when he was about a month old and went on with things. He went to bed with ease not needing to be swaddled. Well, about 6 weeks ago that all went south for us. It was impossible to get him to go to bed without screaming and kicking for up to an hour. One day at school I asked Jenny (Bo's favorite) how they handled him screaming uncontrollably when they put him down for naps. She said he doesn't scream when we put him down and of course my response was WHAT? HOW? Please fill me in on the secret....SWADDLING! So of course I had them show me and then I went home and put it to the test. Needless to say he has been swaddled every day for naps and bedtime since (now I swaddle him). I was just telling the ladies at work today that I would stand in front of Congress and testify about the swaddling. The amazing thing is I can pretty much swaddle him up and he will fall asleep. Bo had been taking several 45 minute naps a day at home and now he only has 2 long naps a day and one short one before bed. I remember learning to swaddle on the doll in birthing class and once you have moving parts it does get a bit more difficult. I realize now why we stopped swaddling, we felt like we were hurting him trying to get him all tightly wrapped up. I guess now that he is bigger and we are veterans we know we are not doing anything but helping him. Bo is now to us the human burrito!

2 comments:

  1. You think that would work with your Uncle Ron!lol
    Hummmmmm, think I might just give it a try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you figure that one out. I am having trouble keeping Bo is his long enough for him to get to sleep.

    ReplyDelete